Saturday, July 27, 2013

Week 8: DDOT

Okay, I am coming clean. my non motorized experiment has been, admittedly, a bit artificial. My primary need for a car (as with most people in our region), is to get to work. This summer, I have not had to be on campus every day, as I was teaching an online class. Further, I have been easily able to advance my studio[Ci] work from home (thanks to nearby clients and my colleagues willingness to come downtown!). But our final review was scheduled for Tuesday 23 July, and it was time for me to get to Southfield on the bus. After all, thousands of my fellow citizens commute this way everyday, so I needed to understand it.



I, like most architects and urbanists, rely on abstract data (e.g., the somewhat shocking Motor City statistic that 1/3 of driving age Detroiters do not (cannot afford to) own a car) and the excellent advocacy of NGOs like TRU, to explain the spotty service of, and incomprehensible lack of cordintion between, our local (DDOT) and regional (SMART) mass transit systems.  But few of us actually use either as a primary mode of transportation. I began by searching DDOT's website "trip planner". When my web search came up with a 2+ hour one way trip on three separate buses, I called the customer service #! Glad I did, too. I reached a very competent, kind woman, who basically told me not to rely on the website, always call if I want accurate departure and arrival times (!). She asked me what I wanted to do and then advised me to take either the 16 Dexter or the 23 Hamilton ("the scenic route") from Rosa Parks Transit station to Northland Mall Transit Center. I could then bike the x miles to campus from there.



Armed with this info, I was hesitant but committed, and headed out on my bike early on Tuesday morning. My plan was to make the 9:00am bus. Unfortunately, I didn't make it there before a torrential downpour hit the city. By the time I got to RPTC, I was soaked (even though I was wearing excellent rain gear), but was relieved to find the Hamilton 23 parked and several passengers waiting. Next challenge: RPTC does not open until 9am, and I did not have $1.50 in quarters. Luckily, I had just enough time to run inside and buy a Fare Card before the driver began loading the bus.  My next challenge was getting my bike loaded on the front rack. The Driver would not instruct nor help me (probably due to liability reasons), but fortunately, a kind passenger assisted me and taught me what to do.

















Wet but relieved, I joined about 5 other passengers on the bus, which made the trip to Northland in just 50 minutes - right on schedule! I rode to campus (biking in Southfield is no picnic - which I will discuss in another post), attended a meeting on campus, worked out, and then completed my afternoon final review. I headed back to Northland around 5:30pm for my trip back downtown. Fortunately, the bleak weather of the morning had transformed into a beautiful summer afternoon. I was running a bit late (was due at my girlfriend's birthday party at 6pm), but was pleasantly surprised to roll up and find a 16 Dexter ready to depart. Great, I thought, a different route and experience on the way home! Again, I had to load my bike without assistance (though the Driver did confirm I had it in the rack correctly) and off we went. This route took a bit longer, was more crowded, but dropped me on the I-75 Service Drive on the corner of Clifford. I had a quick ride to Centaur and the celebration was still going when I arrived! All in all, I had a positive experience and was quite impressed with DDOT service. By the time I biked home, however, I was exhausted - this type of commuting is not easy!


No comments:

Post a Comment