Friday, July 19, 2013

Weeks 5-7 Challenges and Setbacks 1: Injuries+Accidents

Back to blogging, after a few weeks of reflection. I have faced several challenges to my non-motorized experiment. In an earlier post, I told you about my torn meniscus, but biking actually has been helping me to strengthen my legs (key to rehabilitation) and heal. Advice: remember to stretch after each ride - especially your hamstrings. I think bike commuters tend to forget this, as we don't associate what are doing with exercise! Anyway, I have, unfortunately, experienced a quick succession of accidents and injuries:

  • Doing PT for my knee pretty much every day, I got a bit overzealous with my weights and screwed up my back. I have never had back trouble, and did not understand what those who do were going through. Now I do! Yikes, there were days when lying prone on my living room floor was the only comfortable position. Then my Doc prescribed the muscle relaxants - instant and outstanding relief that kept me mobile.
  • I was riding home from a meeting in Tech Town, with no particular agenda, so taking my time. As I passed by a Wayne State parking lot, a pedestrian kicked my back tire (hard, like it was purposeful!). I couldn't get my left foot out of my pedal cage and went down, hitting the pavement hard.  The perp didn't stick around to explain his motives, but a good Samaritan helped me up. My whole left side was pretty banged up - leg, left arm and shoulder, and right wrist, all of which broke my fall (and actually protected my bike). As urban bike accidents go, this one was low speed and pretty mild (fellow bikers have shared some pretty heinous experiences - subject of another post) but disconcerting all the same.
  • Not feeling 100%, I had taken to hopping up and down the stairs on my right (good) leg. One morning, pre-caffeine, my hand slipped and I came down on my right foot, full weight, on a hardwood tread (so much for the "good" leg!). My fourth and fifth toes instantly swelled up and the top half of my foot went black and blue (not going to post a pic - lots on Google if you wish a visual!). Yet another new experience: I have never before broken a toe. If you have, you know the disproportionate pain those tiny body parts can generate! My Doc (seeing them a lot lately!) said the X-rays showed "in line" fractures, so nothing to do but buddy tape, pound ibuprofen and wait for them to heal. Splints also help them heal straight, but make it harder to wear shoes (fairly essential to bike riding).


I am not especially proud to report on this. While I do not consider myself an athlete, I am quite active and not completely uncoordinated. After this series of injuries, I started to think the Universe was trying to tell me something about my goals! Needless to say, I spend a lot of time elevating and icing, but I remain committed to my experiment. I walk a bit less these days (toes are essential to that activity), but continue to bike, which is actually quite low impact as modes of movement go!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like a rough couple of weeks! Glad you powered through, though! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very kind of you! If we believe in our journey, we have to keep going in the face of challenges! You know that, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete