Sunday, July 21, 2013

Weeks 5-7 Challenges and Setbacks 3: Grace

I have found that when you are about to lose faith in humanity, something wonderful happens to prevent you from doing so. I, thankfully, was granted that grace the weekend after the theft of my Tassajara.  I mentioned that I had posted my misfortune to our neighborhood NextDoor site. Within a few hours, I had received 11 offers (!) of loaner bikes and lots of sympathy (I live in a generous community!).  Some of these offers were from neighbors whom I had yet to meet. I spent time walking around the neighborhood, knocking on doors, meeting fellow bikers, and finding my temporary wheels. This not only allowed me to meet my needs and commitments, it prompted many of my neighbors to unearth bikes that had languished, unused, for years in their basements. Perhaps more non-motorized movement in the city?


Loaner #1: Thanks to one of my kind neighbors (kept anonymous so as not to make them a target!), I was mobile again on this sweet (coincidentally!) Gary Fisher vintage mountain bike. I eventually had to return the Gary Fisher after a week, but another neighbor lent me a sturdy Trek commuter bike. 





Loaner #2: Another kind neighbor set me up with this Trek. I am not accustomed to riding on this geometry, but sitting upright has actually proven easier on my various injuries. I am very grateful and have been all over the city on this bike!



No comments:

Post a Comment