Saturday, May 3, 2014

Starting today, I will bike everyday

View east on the Detroit River (from a bike!)
I went out on my 'home bike' today, not my first ride of the season (I have been out on my campus cruiser, and out around Detroit, as well), but a most wonderful ride all the same. Probably 'most wonderful' because I set out without any agenda, objective, or 'list of things to do'. I just started riding: first up to and around Eastern Market (late Saturday afternoon calm, with stores just closing, farmers and vendors loading their trucks), then down the Dequindre Cut to the Riverfront. The sun dodged in and out from behind incredible clouds; the wind picked up; other bikers greeted me: a mother whose son sped ahead of her ("he is just learning!"); a large biking group; a woman walking ("I just got back from a ride!"). Under the weight of the seemingly endless polar vortex, the demands of an intense semester, injuries and slow recovery, a spring season that has yet to commit - I had forgotten the simple joy of a bike ride. I am resolved: I will do my best to bike everyday from this day on!


No comments:

Post a Comment