Sunday, June 2, 2013

Analysis

Before I began my experiment, I did a bit of analysis. I asked myself: why do I need a car? For each answer, I documented alternatives and actions  (see chart).  I was committed to altering my routine and to challenge long accepted norms of consumption, convenience, mobility, safety and independence. 


Why do I need a car?

Alternate
To get to work

Bus? Rides from Colleagues? GRAs? Moped? Rental?
To shop
Groceries – Holiday Market
Clothing, Household and H+BA – Northland, Somerset, Oakland, Fairlane, Eastland; Other specialty shops (T Mobile, Universal Plumbing, et.al.)

Eastern Market, Lafayette Foods, CVS, Busy Bee on foot or bike;
Trusted source for Meat and fish (EM, Ye Olde Butcher Shop); Whole Foods opening soon)?
Shop for clothing/shoes less frequently
Amazon!
To see family and friends who live further than a bike ride – Eastside, Dearborn, Southfield, Bloomfield
They come here; Get a ride; Make friends who live closer!
To Bank
Detroit branches or online
To recycle paper
Neighbors
To lug big + heavy stuff (bike, paint, plants, etc.)
rental
To get to the airport
Taxi or ride
To get 'Up North'
Bus or rental
To get to Drs/Hospitals
All medical care in Detroit?
To get groomed
Find local Hairdresser and mani/pedi.
To get around in the dark or rain
Dress appropriately or stay in!

No comments:

Post a Comment