Saturday, June 8, 2013

Week 1

I have completed Week 1 and am happy to report that I have been able to meet all my needs on foot and bike! I did have to go beyond the Boulevard for softball league in Maheras-Gentry park, but other than that, so far so good! I am tracking my mileage in three "modes of movement": walking, biking, other (i.e. PT - might not have yet mentioned that I have a torn meniscus and am in PT. Docs said no running, but biking will help me strengthen my leg muscles and recover so I can run again!). This week, I accomplished a variety of activities - grocery shopping, a benefit in Corktown, a conference in Tech Town, even a date in Midtown (so a variety of wardrobe choices, as well!) on bike and foot. I realized that I am not fully equipped to do what I am doing. I have a 10 year old Gary Fisher Tassajara GS mountain bike (blog cover photo) that I love to ride and have been everywhere on. I know some urban bikers think a MB in the city is overkill, but I think the heavy frame and thick tires are ideal for Detroit's often uneven and potholed roads. Add to that a back pack, a water bottle, a helmet, and a lock. Those items - bike, lock, helmet, water bottle, and backpack  - are really all you need to do what I am doing. Oh, and a sturdy pair of walking shoes are essential (I sound like my Tante Lotte getting ready to go spaziergangen!).


There are many other accessories that would make a car free life easier - fenders (it has been raining a lot this summer - a good rain slicker comes in handy, too!), a back rack and panniers would allow me to buy and carry more. But I am (as many other Detroiters do!) making it work with the basics. I simply buy more frequently, buying only what I can carry each trip.
Week 1
Walk Miles: 3.65
Bike Miles: 35.88
Other: PT Daily; 1 Planting in the garden

No comments:

Post a Comment