Saturday, June 15, 2013

Week 2

Week 2 proved a bit more challenging. Three days straight of rain kept my numbers low. I remain committed, so I suppose I need to talk about motivation for the '5x8 project' in this post. I have three primary motivations:
Walk the Talk: my teaching and design research have become increasingly focused on human scale, perception and physiology, how they should shape the form and experience of the city, and the role of non motorized movement and supportive infrastructure in creating sustainable place in the city. Movement Ecosystem (see Origins post) was the latest in that trajectory, but in the last four years, I have integrated non-motorized transportation experiences and techniques into my design studios, engaging students and colleagues in the annual Tour de Troit and other outing.  Personal experience and expertise provides additional legitimacy to my pedagogic role.
City Love: I am a Detroiter, and have an intimate understanding the importance of the automobile in our region's cultural, economic and physical legacy. Even so, I grew up walking to school and did not own my first car until I received my undergraduate degree. I completed my Masters degrees in Boston, and became a happy "T" rider and urban pedestrian, rarely driving.  Last year, I was fortunate to spend the summer in Milano, Italy and took advantage of the compacts scale of the city, walking and using their comprehensive train, Metro, trolley and bus system. The only car I was in all summer was the taxi to and from Linate airport! This was a profound experience, one which clarified issues of equity, choice and public investment in infrastructure. I realized how  poorly served we, the citizens of Detroit. are by the uninspired transportation decisions of our elected and appointed leaders.
Health: the human body was designed to move - not sit in a car and/or chair all day! I have always been an active individual. But in the last 5 years, I have become even more committed to a healthy lifestyle through diet (Paleo) and exercise (pretty much daily). I was always an avid biker but, in the last four years, have become a runner, thanks to my own stubborn will and an amazingly talented trainer! When the diagnosis of the torn meniscus and no running was delivered, I realized I needed to do something to keep myself fit and moving.

Week 2
Walk Miles: 1
Bike Miles: 16.95
Other: PT x3
There must be an interface which allows me to link Google Earth to blogger so I may better illustrate my movement miles! Ideas?


No comments:

Post a Comment